HONG KONG DIARIES 1 : CAUSEWAY BAY AT NIGHT

1/14/2016

Hong Kong is a place I hold close to my heart. It is the reason I'm in love with cities - from the way the streets light up as the sun sets to the way people manage to slip and slide past each other through the crowds, it all makes my toes tinkle. No matter how many times it has been, there's always something new to discover and a spark of life. 

Through this trip, I've discovered that it's not easy photographing in a place you have seen one too many times. My eyes readily took in everything that left hardly anything for the camera to capture, which made finding new and interesting perspectives more difficult. This, coupled with the pace of life and movement in the city made the photography experience a challenge but nonetheless a thrilling adventure. 

In this series of photo diaries is my take on Hong Kong (of the days I spent with my camera), with some travel tips sprinkled in (maybe a whole post if I get my shit together). But for now, look forward to a virtual tour of the island and let me know if you'd pay a visit! 

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography

Causeway Bay can be a daunting place to navigate at first visit. There's so much going on, and it only gets livelier later into the night. But as much as I need quiet and calmness in my life, there's something very comforting about being surrounded by the city. The sense of community makes me less afraid and less anxious.

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography

One thing you should never miss out on is the street food in Hong Kong. As dingy and sketchy as they look, the shops are paying very high rents to maintain their businesses, so you can trust the quality of the food. Personal favorites are shu mai and eggettes, especially at this very corner stall across from Times Square.

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography, street food

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography, food

The night is always young at Times Square.

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography, times square, city

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography

In Causeway Bay, certain streets are blocked off to cars in the evening, making room for trolley vendors. In the last few years, this has become a spot for great bargain on very cute iPhone/iPad cases.

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography

When it all gets too overwhelming, you can jump on a tram to see it from a different perspective.

causeway bay, hong kong, travel, photography

All photos are my own. 


You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Hong Kong is such a cool place! I've always wanted to go to 3 countries, Turkey & Hong Kong & Japan. The streets look so bright!

    xo,
    Not Your Type Blog

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Twitter

INSTAGRAM